Monday, September 12, 2011

USGF Malaysia trip 2011- Some things you have to experice yourself...

This year I again traveled to Malaysia with Cikgu Sam. This trip I really wanted to meet more Cikgu and talk to people about Gayong. Here in the United States, I only have access to Cikgu Sam for information on Gayong and Malaysia, and believe me, I ask him tons of questions!

It's important I think, to go the homeland of Silat Seni Gayong and just let Malaysia absorb into your pores. It gives you a clearer understanding of the culture surrounding Gayong.

Every time I go to Malaysia, I come away with a new perspective on Gayong. It opens my eyes to new things with my own training, my understanding of Gayong and it changes the way I teach Gayong.

There are some things I cannot teach the students here, I cannot teach them what a Kacip is. You have to go there and see this cutting tool. I cannot bottle the smell of durian in a highway rest stop market. It's indescribable! I cannot explain the delightful taste of mangosteen on a hot day in Malaysia.

There are some things you have to experience for yourself...

No comments: